Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Bloglines; Slashdot

I was scrolling through the required blogs today, when I came across a blog that really caught my eye. It was an article on Slashdot, that was about how in France, only journalists can film violence. Immediately, I thought that this can't be true, and must be a joke of some kind, and then I realized that I am from the United States, and although I have traveled to other countries for vacation (mostly carribbean islands) I am not very cultured when it comes to other countries policies regarding freedoms. I decided to mention this article in my blog because I think it is something that everyone should know about, and will be interested to read. Here is the link:
Slashdot In France, Only Journalists Can Film Violence

Anyway, the law was approved exactly 16 years after a film was released by an amateur videographer exposing police officers beating up Rodney King. Although this law seems rather outlandish, there is nothing that the citizens of the country can do, other then publishing what they record, which is what in essence makes a journalist...well a journalist. I find it pretty unbelievable that a first world country can prevent people of basic freedoms (well, basic American freedoms atleast) and it seems that other people agree with me as there are hundreds of comments posted by readers, displayed under the article.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

I'm glad you brought that article to my attention, considering I feel the same way you do about the laws and policies of other countries- uncultured. I think it would cause huge controversy in the US if people were denied a seemingly universal freedom like this, although it seems like it has caused a big controversy in France as well.