Thursday, May 17, 2007

Evolution of Wikipedia Pages


Over the past semester, I have made edits on four different Wikipedia pages which have evolved over the last few months. The four different pages that I decided to edit were the following, with a brief description of the edits I made and how they changed.


Phil Ivey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: There was already a lot of information covered about Phil Ivey's career and earnings, so for this page I had to make edits in which most people didn't know about. Being an avid poker player on Full Tilt Poker (an online poker site) I have seen Phil Ivey play high stakes poker on multiple occasions. I have also seen Ivey play on the GSN channel, on the show called "High Stakes Poker." One of my posts was edited which frustrates me to see that something I took time to do was changed, but I realize that this is what Wikipedia is all about. I was glad to see that the majority of my posts have remained on the page, which shows that I added insightful and interesting information about Phil Ivey.


Nas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: This was an easy page for me to update, being that I grew up listening to Nas' music, and knew a lot about him. Instead of just making edits about his music, I tried to add information that dealt with his life outside of his musical career. I added information about his new TV show that is expected to air soon on MTV, called "Mr. and Mrs. Jones," as well as his new shoe line that is being released soon, called "The Disciples." Once again, my edits have remained on the page which shows that my contributions have been meaningful.


Hedge fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: For the Hedge Funds page, I was more curious to learn and read about Hedge Funds more than contribute to the page, but I did the best I could to add some information. Being that I was not very knowledgeable about this area, one of my edits simply cleaned up a grammatical error. I happened to know a lot about mutual funds, so when I saw that there was a section comparing the two, I added my $.02 about the similarities and differences. Finally, being that my Uncle is in the Hedge Fund business, I added information about the performance fees involved, being that this is an aspect that my Uncle often talks about. Overall, being that I did not know much about Hedge Funds, I still think I helped contribute to the page.


MIT Blackjack Team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: For my final page, I decided to edit a page which was about a book that I recently read, called "Bringing Down the House." Being that I had read the book, and knew more about the subject than most people do, it was easy for me to add information to the page. I knew that there was a movie coming out that was based on the book so I added that fact. I also made an addition to a section about Andy Bloch, who was a member of the MIT Blackjack Team, and a former poker player. Unfortunately my comment about his interview on ESPN was deleted.


Overall, I am very happy with the work that I accomplished with Wikipedia, as well as in my Info Tech. course at the U. of Delaware. The project really tied into the course material well, and has helped me build a foundation in Information Technology for Applications in Marketing.

No comments: